What Transmittable Diseases Do Raccoons Carry?
Raccoons can carry several diseases detrimental to the health of both humans and pets. Transmission is usually the result of incorrect handling of the pests, which leads to bites, scratches, or direct contact with raccoon feces. Here are a few of the most common diseases carried by raccoons:
- Rabies: Spread via saliva and causes muscle pain, dizziness, fatigue, loss of appetite, fever, delirium, and irritability.
- Raccoon Roundworm: Also known as baylisascaris, this parasite is found in the pest's feces and induces unpleasant symptoms like liver enlargement, loss of muscle control, blindness, and disorientation.
- Leptospirosis: Bacteria spread via excrement which causes fever, headache, chills, muscle aches, jaundice, and potentially kidney or liver failure.
- Giardiasis: Gastrointestinal ailment that induces bloating, vomiting, indigestion, and loss of appetite in those afflicted.
- Salmonellosis: When ingested, the Salmonella bacteria brings about abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Raccoon populations often harbor a number of dangerous diseases and parasites that can easily be transmitted to humans who do not take proper precautions. Contact the wildlife experts at Critter Control to prevent the spread of disease and safely remove raccoons from your property.
Raccoons and Roundworm
The primary parasite carried by raccoons is the roundworm. Transmitted by eggs in the raccoon droppings, roundworms are inadvertently ingested when humans touch the feces, contaminated food, or polluted water sources and then touch their mouths. Young children are especially vulnerable to roundworms, which cause nausea, loss of muscle control, blindness, coma, and sometimes death.
Individuals should take precautions when they come in close contact with raccoons. To prevent the spread of disease:
- Parents should supervise outdoor play to reduce the chance of children contracting diseases.
- Always wash garden vegetables thoroughly to reduce the risk of consuming contaminated food.
- Never approach wild raccoons, especially if they are acting strangely, staggering about, or showing signs of aggression.
Contact a Professional Wildlife Expert
The safest course of action is to contact the wildlife experts at Critter Control, who are trained to handle problematic raccoons and protect residents from the dangerous diseases they spread.
Get them out.
Experience wildlife or pest issue? We can help! Complete this form and your local Critter Control® office will contact you to assist.
Keep them out.®
indicates required field.
Best Rodent Removal in Atlanta
They have been able to eliminate the yellow jacket problem and keep them away. Everyone I have delt with have been helpful and friendly.
Your representatives make your company! They are knowledgable and responsive. I was fortunate to have a great representative for several years. When that changed, I was concerned that the new tech wouldn't be as well trained. I am extreamly happy with my new tech and can say that all of the service employes have been outstanding.
Tech comes out monthly and takes care of everything. If we have any new issues, they are handled immediately.
All the technicians
are very kind and knowledgeable. Everyone always goes the extra mile anytime I need assistance. Great company to do business with.
Technicians are knowledgeable, polite, helpful, easy to reach out to.
The technician is very knowledgeable
and courteous. He called in advance to notify me about an upcoming treatment. He inquires about any problems that I may have observed. He leaves a note to inform me that the appointment was completed.