Muskrat or Beaver?
Beavers and muskrats are semiaquatic animals that share a number of similarities which make it hard for many people to tell them apart. Both rodents have water-resistant fur in shades of brown.
In addition, muskrats and beavers build their dens in water, often coexisting in the same lodge. They also cause related property damage.
To properly control either pest, it's important to know the source of the problem. A few quick tips can aid in identifying muskrat vs. beaver infestations.
Differences in Appearance & Behavior
From a distance, telling the difference between a beaver and a muskrat isn't easy. However, these animals have a few distinct traits:
- Size - Beavers are large rodents that weigh up to 60 pounds. The much smaller muskrat averages about four pounds.
- Tails - A wide, leathery, and paddle-like tail is a beaver's most recognizable feature, while a muskrat tail is long and narrow with flat sides.
- Movement - Another key to beaver vs. muskrat identification is the way they travel in water. When swimming, only a beaver's head is visible. In contrast, an observer would see a muskrat's entire body as it moves through the water.
- Tracks - A beaver has webbed hind feet, but its broad tail often sweeps away part of its tracks. Muskrats have only partial webbing on their toes, and their tails leave long, skinny drag marks.
- Diet - As strict vegetarians, beavers eat plants and the soft tissue beneath tree bark. Muskrats are fond of cattails as well as crayfish.
Muskrat vs. Beaver Problems
Either muskrats or beavers can destabilize the banks of rivers, ponds, and reservoirs with their burrows. This damage causes washouts that are dangerous for properties downstream. Both animals girdle trees, but beavers leave chiseled logs and stumps in their wake.
Overall, beavers cause more damage than muskrats because of their lodges and dams. These structures can result in the severe flooding of houses near rivers and streams. A beaver will also block pipes with sticks and mud, which can create issues for entire neighborhoods.
Prevention & Removal
Homeowners concerned about muskrats or beavers should call the experts at Critter Control. Technicians can provide swift, humane solutions for wildlife affecting homes and property.
Get them out.
Experience wildlife or pest issue? We can help! Complete this form and your local Critter Control® office will contact you to assist.
Keep them out.®
indicates required field.
Best Rodent Removal in Atlanta
They have been able to eliminate the yellow jacket problem and keep them away. Everyone I have delt with have been helpful and friendly.
Your representatives make your company! They are knowledgable and responsive. I was fortunate to have a great representative for several years. When that changed, I was concerned that the new tech wouldn't be as well trained. I am extreamly happy with my new tech and can say that all of the service employes have been outstanding.
Tech comes out monthly and takes care of everything. If we have any new issues, they are handled immediately.
All the technicians
are very kind and knowledgeable. Everyone always goes the extra mile anytime I need assistance. Great company to do business with.
Technicians are knowledgeable, polite, helpful, easy to reach out to.
The technician is very knowledgeable
and courteous. He called in advance to notify me about an upcoming treatment. He inquires about any problems that I may have observed. He leaves a note to inform me that the appointment was completed.