Rat-bite Fever


Streptobacillus moniliformis bacteria found on the gums and teeth of rats

Fever after getting bit by a rat or by drinking milk or ingesting food contaminated by rat excrement

2–10 days after exposure: abrupt onset of chills and fever, vomiting, back and joint pain, headache, muscle pain
2–4 days after onset of fever: a rash on the hands and feet, joints may become swollen, red and painful

Seek medical attention from a physician

Avoid contact with rats
Wear protective gloves and wash hands immediately after handling rats
Drink pasteurized milk and water from safe sources