|Description||Streptobacillus moniliformis bacteria found on the gums and teeth of rats|
|Cause||Fever after getting bit by a rat or by drinking milk or ingesting food contaminated by rat excrement|
|Symptoms||2–10 days after exposure: abrupt onset of chills and fever, vomiting, back and joint pain, headache, muscle pain
2–4 days after onset of fever: a rash on the hands and feet, joints may become swollen, red and painful
|Treatment||Seek medical attention from a physician|
|Prevention||Avoid contact with rats
Wear protective gloves and wash hands immediately after handling rats
Drink pasteurized milk and water from safe sources
To learn more about Critter Control's animal control and animal removal services, visit Our Services.
For more information on Critter Control franchises, visit Franchise Opportunities.
Interested in joining the Critter Control team? Visit Employment Opportunities for more information.